How to: Fit a tank on a Gripper
Here’s the problem, the Gripper is a lovely little mod just at a simply fantastic stealth size, but due to the design the connector is “hidden” very low down the tube.. this works great with cartomizers on the go but for a bit more demanding use it unfortunately also means that you cannot really use it with an atomizer or a tank. My little solution for this problem cost me $3.. and takes so little skill that even I could do it!
What you will need:
- An XL carto (old burned one works well)
- a 510 connector (buy one!)
- one little bit of wire
- tiny bit of soldering wire
- soldering iron and misc tools
Now.. a WARNING:
I like to solder in the nude and touch the red hot soldering iron with my bare skin often to assert my masculinity… however this is apparently a wrong method so please do be careful when using a soldering iron to avoid any accidents.
What we’ll be doing:
Basically this is a cheap simple way to make a very long 510 extender. Nothing fancy.
- Scew the cartomizer onto an unloved or dead battery/mod. Rock it back and forth at the connector until it comes appart. This takes a little bit of time but it is completely doable.. and it comes away quite clean.
- Pull the connector out of the tube. The guts of the cartomizer should come with it. Dont throw away anything just yet.
- Take a moment to examine the simplicity of the dual coil cartomizer.. and kick yourself for not having come up with it first.
- Solder the wire to the center post of the 510 connector. I prefer to pass the wire through the hole and solder at the front.
- Pass the wire through the empty cartomizer tube (aren’t you happy you didn’t throw it away?) and solder the center column of the cartomizer connector to it
- Apply pressure (a lot of it) to both ends of your almost completed adaptor until both connectors are in the tube.
- Crack open a beer and marvel at your creation!
Before using your new toy it’s best to make sure you don’t have a short (while you are at it get rid of speedos too). Try metering the adapter.. from center post (positive) to the outer connector the resistance should be infinite, anything lower means there’s a short and this could hurt your mod.
Now.. the gripper possibilities are endless!